The ESF is a federation of National Associations of signmakers and accepts members in four categories (Rules):
- Full member: A legally constituted, nationally recognised Association or syndicate of signmakers from any European country.
- Individual member: Individuals or companies working as signmakers in countries either outside Europe or where there is no current National Association or non-European association of signmakers.
- Associate member: Individuals or companies not working as a sign maker and from a country in which there is no National Association.
- Honorary member: Honorary membership may only be bestowed upon individuals.
The ESF Board has created Working Groups to enable detailed discussions in key areas. These are the
- Strategy Working Group
- Finance Working Group
- Marketing and Communication Working Group
- Sign Regulation Working Group
- Technical Committee
- Rules Working Group
- Education Working Group